you will need: 1 saucepan, 2 small fry pans, colander, garlic press, measuring cups and spoons, cheese grater
gold beets, 4 to 5 medium
olive oil, 2 Tbls
garlic cloves, 3
parsley, 1/4 cup, chopped
a pinch of fennel
walnuts, 3/4 cup
a large pinch of dried herbs..thyme or marjoram
olive oil, 1/4 cup
marmalade, 2 Tbls
gruyere cheese, 3 oz
1. Boil the beets in a saucepan covered with salted water, with a bay leaf, until done. This will take anywhere between 20 - 35 minutes
2. Cut the leeks into rings, rinse in a colander to remove sand.
3. Press the garlic.
4. Saute the leeks, garlic and fennel in the oil until soft and lightly browned. Salt. Add the parsley at the very end.
5. In another pan saute the walnuts until browned adding the dried herbs at the end.
6. Cool the beets enought to handle and peel and slice them.
7. Combine the beets, sauted leeks and walnuts and toss with olive oil and citrus marmalade
8. Arrange on a platter of mixed greens.
9. Top with grated gruyere cheese